These medications are used to treat a variety of anxiety disorders including generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder, panic disorder, and agoraphobia.
- Alprazolam (Xanax, Xanax XR); Usual Daily Dosage Range: 1-4 mg (Anxiety), 5-6 mg (Panic), 3-6 mg (Xanax XR- Panic)
- Lorazepam (Ativan); Usual Daily Dosage Range: 2-6 mg (Oral), 4 mg (Short-acting Injection), 1-2 mg (Catatonia)
- Clonazepam (Klonopin); Usual Daily Dosage Range: 0.5-2 mg
- Diazepam (Valium, Diastat); Usual Daily Dosage Range: 4-40 mg (Oral), 5 mg/minute (IV)
- Chlordiazepoxide (Librium, Librax, Limbitrol); Usual Daily Dosage Range: 15-100 mg
- Clorazepate (Tranxene, Azene); Usual Daily Dosage Range: 15-60 mg
Possible side effects include sedation, fatigue, depression, dizziness, ataxia, slurred speech, weakness, forgetfulness, confusion, hyper-excitability, nervousness, rare hallucinations, mania, rare hypotension, hypersalivation, dry mouth, respiratory depression, rare hepatic dysfunction, renal dysfunction, and blood dyscrasias.
Serotonin 1A Partial Agonist
- Buspirone (BuSpar); Usual Daily Dosage Range: 20-30 mg
Possible side effects include dizziness, headache, nervousness, sedation, excitement, nausea, restlessness, and rare cardiac symptoms.
- Hydroxyzine (Atarax, Vistaril, Marax); Usual Daily Dosage Range: 50-100 mg up to 4 times a day
Possible side effects include dry mouth, sedation, tremor, rare convulsions, rare cardiac arrest, death, bronchodilation, and respiratory depression.
The following antidepressants are also FDA approved for the treatment of certain anxiety disorders: Fluoxetine (Prozac, Sarafem), Escitalopram (Lexapro), Paroxetine (Paxil), Sertraline (Zoloft), Fluvoxamine (Luvox, Luvox CR), Venlafaxine (Effexor), and Duloxetine (Cymbalta).
Usual daily dosage range is for adults. The above information is meant as a general reference only and should not be used as a guideline for prescribing of medications or medical advice. Please check the manufacturer’s product information sheet or the P.D.R. for the most accurate information, including dosage schedule, side effect profile and contraindications. Please consult a physician for medical advice. Brand names are registered trademarks. Disclaimer